Saturday, March 10, 2012

How can I protect my son and myself in the event of an earthquake?

We live upstairs in a two story apartment building, there are trees EVERYWHERE outside including outside both of our bedroom windows. Our stairs are outside and Im unsure where electrical lines are. What should I do in the event of an earthquake, my baby is only one and would not be able to follow directions and would scream his head off if an earthquake happened which would be dangerous because he would breathe in dust and gases. Any suggestions?How can I protect my son and myself in the event of an earthquake?
Honestly, it depends on how bad the earthquake is. If its a major earthquake your apartment building could collapse. Especially if its an older one. But this also depends on where you live, I'm assuming California or somewhere along the Pacific Coast. If you live on the Pacific Coast its more than likely that you're apartment building was built to withstand an earthquake. But just to be on the safe side, you should find out and ask the manager or owner. If it is built to withstand an earthquake, I wouldn't be so worried unless it was like I said, a major earthquake. If its not built to withstand an earthquake you should always go outside. Even the lightest earthquakes can cause older building to collapse.



Another thing you should do is prepare. You can buy a backpack and get big water bottles and fill them up with water, and make sure you have food that you can eat in there too, along with baby food, flashlights and anything else you'll need to survive. You should also always keep heavier things in bottom shelves. or anywhere that they can't fall off and hit you or the baby with, and no I'm not trying to scare you. The main cause of death in earthquakes is things falling down on people.



TO RELAPSE..



If you're apartment building isn't built to withstand earthquakes and one happens, you should always go outside no matter how light. If it is built to withstand earthquakes, stay upstairs take the baby and stand under a doorway. If it's a bigger earthquake take the baby and the backpack you've prepared (if you can easily get to it and if you have enough time) if not take the baby and GET OUT OF THERE and go outside. I know what you're probably thinking, too.. how do i know if it's a light or major earthquake? Believe me, You'll know. The easiest way to tell is if things are falling off shelves... If they are, get out of there. if not, I wouldn't worry.



Also; here are some sites you should check out to be prepared and stay safe. :)





http://www.wikihow.com/Prepare-for-an-Ea鈥?/a>

http://quake.usgs.gov/prepare/prepare.ht鈥?/a>





Best wishes to you and your baby. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment